Thursday, June 26, 2014

NBA Draft 2014 Big Board: Tracking the Best Players Still Available

The final 2014 NBA draft big board reflects everything from regular-season performance to predraft workout buzz. 
Joel Embiid's recent foot injury has led to a shake-up in the top five, as he'd been our No. 1 guy for the majority of the year. 
Either way, this really looks like an awfully strong field when you consider the potential star power at the top and the depth from No. 15 to No. 30. Any team with a first-round pick should have a legitimate chance at walking away with a valuable asset.
This 2014 big board is a straight-up ranking of the prospects based on their NBA potential. This is not the order I anticipate them getting drafted in. The first person I talked to was the owner, Red McCombs [in his first season of full ownership]. I had no idea who he was. I love him nowadays, but that night he had to explain to me who he was. I had to be reminded who the coach was and everything. But then I was like, Oh, yeah. Larry Browns the coach.” And, Oh, yeah, big Dave Robinson is gonna be there next season.” [Robinson, the top pick in 87, had to finish his service with the U.S. Navy before starting his NBA career.]
I knew Big Dave because we played in the 1986 World Games together and were both at the 1988 Olympic trials. We hung out a lot. I was excited.

First, however, he had to get signed. There was no rookie wage scale, so Elliott had to wait for the dominoes to fall.It was definitely a frustrating process because, not only was San Antonio very conservative with money and not just going to open up the bank, but everyone was waiting to see what Pervis got first. And then Danny wouldnt sign with the Clippers. He refused to play for them. So there was no baseline for me.
So I was still a holdout in the first week of training camp. When I did finally sign, I go to my first practice, and after Larry Brown ends the session, he says I have to stay. Then he brings in [general manager] Bob Bass and they start running me through drills. And Im thinking, Wait, you drafted me already. Now youre putting me through a tryout?
Elliott was eventually a two-time All-Star who played all but one of his 12 seasons with the Spurs. He was the starting small forward on San Antonios 1999 championship team. His jersey was retired in 2005. Hes been a member of the Spurs broadcast team since 2005.Im glad the Clippers didnt pick me that night.

Jordan Retro 9

2 Item(s)
  per page
 Grid  List 
  Set Ascending Direction
2 Item(s)
  per page
 Grid  List 
  Set Ascending Direction

No comments:

Post a Comment